Two more Orc arms finished. Orc Hero almost done.
Started painting Ratlings, stripped more Skaven and sorted out extra parts. Working on Ork arms.
Spray based Ratlings, stripped half of Skaven. Attached a few more shoulder pads to Chaos retinue. A little more detailing and they’ll be ready to prime.
Cleaned up Ratling snipers ready for spray basing. Stripping Skaven, black spray primer scrubs off nicely. Tried smoothing balsa for pillar master but need plastic rod or dowelling I think. PalmPilot is back in action!
Crikey, been a while since I’ve updated this diary. Mainly because my trusty PalmPilot has died and I haven’t got around to recharging the NiCads (it’s a Palm III). Anyway, did a fair amount of modelling over the Xmas break. Cast numerous barrels and built a nice simple four barrel terrain piece for Mordheim. Also used a couple of barrels and casts of Tamiya ammo boxes to provide cover in the complete ruined barn for MH. Mixing partially tiled floor (cereal box offcuts) with gravel gave a nice partially tiled / ruined feeling. Also used a cut up WFB Death Knight skeleton horse for a carcass. Painting Orcs too…getting there slowly but surely. Painted numerous Orc arms and several more Orcish heroes. I have two Orcs left (a Hero and a Henchman) as well as numerous arms to complete before I have a fully painted 500 crown starting warband. I got briefly side-tracked after playing Griff’s Tau with my Imperial Guard army for 40k. Decided to bite the bullet and purchase a couple of Sentinel models, which leaves me with two Sentinels, two Catachans and a Basilisk to complete for the IG. Looks like I’m going to have to focus on vehicles for a wee while. The entire Chaos army is also still beckoning to me from the garage. I successfully tried my first GS texture stamp in the holidays, lifting a nice ‘fly’ badge from the Nurgle Champion and using it to stamp the badge on the shoulder pads of his entire Plague Marine retinue. Should tie him to the retinue nicely. Must add more ‘Nurgly’ detailing to these shoulder pads though.
Finished sculpting a MH barrel half. Not terribly exciting but is my first complete green stuff sculpt (I’m sure thousands of people have sculpted barrels, boxes and chests to start with)! Poured the mold for it yesterday and it set pretty quickly – I think what little Ultrasil RTV I have left might be getting past its use by date. My first cast plaster barrel came out very well. Need to do a quick run and get together enough halves for a handful of barrels for terrain. Alternately I could use the last of the RTV on another barrel mold. One problem is I sculpted the barrel half on a plaster cast 40k drum half (for scale purposes) and sealed the plaster with acrylic house paint. Unfortunately the gs doesn’t adhere too well to this mix so my master may peel apart after some time.
Sculpted one barrel end! Almost there! Patched Orc Shaman’s wrist gap with green stuff and left it as is because the patch is barely visible (the gs matches the Orc’s skin tone pretty closely).
Foolishly started messing with the Rhino kits when I should have been painting Orcs. Did finish the Orc Shaman though, bar one bit of patching on his right wrist where there’s about a 3mm gap to his arm. Thinking of just extending his collection of bangles down that arm. Might be tricky to do now he’s fully painted. The new style Rhinos rock! The kits go together ridiculously easily and the interior detailing is lovely. Chaos options are nice too. I’m thinking of turning the interior of the first Rhino into a massive gullet. Make the rear deck a big open mouth with gs details. I’ve cut open side hatch open and will make that an open mouth (so you can see the interior), cut the other away and make that a closed toothy mouth. Fill the interior to rippling veins and canker sores etc. Some tricky blending between red interior and camo green exterior possibly. Must finish my Orc MH warband first though!
Marnie in Aussie sends me a couple of Chaos Rhinos! Damn these new style Rhinos are great! I suggest a box of Chaos Termies and 7 new Raptors for all my Termies + 2 Librarians. Thinking of Nurgle Rhino with a fair amount of green stuff involved. Nice pus dripping from roof interior and Nurgling Infestation (sorry ‘mutant armor’ in the new Codex). Thinking of trying to sculpt a couple of crucified Nurglings (sad and angry) and rtv/resin casting them. I should be able to do them as a one sided mold with some undercutting. Depends on how many flat areas I can find on the Rhino to ‘nail’ them to. Need to grab a base or two of these guys for scale (and for character infestations). Also thinking of covering the Rhino with blister sores and painting them red/yellow inflamed…like some really nasty rash. Should be easy to do with green stuff.
Orc Shaman finished – well hands + club to be attached. Finished second arm set for Goblin wrangla.